Fire Smarts, in partnership with Telgian, is providing a series of informative training webinars taught by Telgian fire protection experts who will educate on specific areas of fire protection systems. The August Fire Safety and Extinguisher User Training Webinar addresses the way in which fire creates a safety hazard, impacting all people and facilities. This webinar provides an examination of general fire safety including the classification of fire hazards, standard best practices, and proper incident response procedures.
The presentation will include a discussion of:
- types of fire extinguishers,
- proper placement of fire extinguishers,
- requirements for maintaining portable fire extinguishers, as well as
- step-by-step procedures for effectively using fire extinguishers in a fire event.
Learning Objectives and CEUs:
- Describe the classification of fire hazards and proper incipient fire response.
- List the types of fire extinguishers associated with each hazard.
- Explain the proper placement and maintenance of fire extinguishers.
- Apply the recommended procedures for using a fire extinguisher.
- CEUs: 1 contact hour
About the Presenter, Russ Leavitt
Russ Leavitt, SET, CFPS, Executive Chairman of Telgian Corporation: With over 36 years of experience, Leavitt holds a Level IV certification from NICET in Fire Sprinkler Layout and Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS) designation. He is a 2nd Vice-Chairman of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), is the chair of the NFPA 13 Sprinkler System Discharge Criteria technical committee, and serves on the NFPA 13 Installation and NFPA 25 technical committees.
Russ conducts seminars internationally on a variety of fire and life safety related subjects and has authored a number of articles and training materials including the AFSA ITM training program and online hydraulic calculation course.