During the holiday season, store shelves are filled with merchandise ready for holiday shoppers. An increase of inventory and foot traffic within a facility often means that fire authorities across the country may increase inspections. This is done to ensure that facilities are in compliance with pertinent fire codes. For the safety of your customers, employees, and property, Telgian Fire Safety offers the following holiday fire safety tips to keep in mind during this busy season:
1) Make sure that none of your exit doors are blocked and that all aisles are clear, so your patrons and employees can escape safely in case of an emergency.
2) Unplug extension cords for temporary displays at night. Be careful they are not pinched, placed where they can be run over, or create a trip hazard. Damage to an extension cord can cause a fire.
3) Confirm that you have 36” of clearance around your fire sprinkler risers and fire alarm equipment. This is to ensure accessibility and to prevent fire sprinklers from being damaged.
4) Check that the inspections for your fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems are current, including an inspection tag attached to each sprinkler riser.
5) Make sure that the inspections each fire extinguisher and kitchen hood system are current, including an inspection tag attached to each cylinder.
6) If you have facilities in areas subject to freezing conditions, ensure that your dry sprinkler systems and antifreeze loops are in proper operating condition. Click here for Dry Pipe Fire Sprinkler System Winterization information.
7) Confirm that there is proper clearance (minimum 18”) from product from all sprinkler heads.
Need more holiday fire safety information? Visit our recent article Preparing for a Fire Safety Inspection for the detailed series of steps you need to take to make sure your company can pass a fire safety inspection.
About Telgian Fire Safety
Since 1985, Telgian Fire Safety has served as a trusted partner to clients around the globe, providing innovative solutions and keeping facilities safe, compliant and on budget. Telgian’s expertise includes testing, inspections and repair of Fire Life Safety Systems including Fire Sprinkler Systems, Fire Alarm Systems, Fire Extinguishers, Kitchen Hood Suppression Systems, Backflow Systems, Emergency/Exit Lights, Special Hazards, Clean Agent Systems and Fire Alarm Monitoring.
Our industry-leading experts provide fire, life safety, and security solutions worldwide. We are active in global code development organizations, as well as industry-leading organizations such as NFPA, SFPE and ICC, providing our clients the ultimate advantage in code compliance—a voice.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss how we can provide fire safety systems testing, inspections, and repair services for you. To arrange a meeting to discuss your specific needs, please contact us at email@example.com or give us a call at 1.480.753.5444.